[LLVMdev] MemoryBuffer

OvermindDL1 overminddl1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 15:57:40 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Gordon Henriksen
<gordonhenriksen at me.com> wrote:
> NUL-termination is an optimization, in particular for clang's parser,
> where it's cheaper to check for '\0' to signal EOF than it is to
> compare pointers. Its presence doesn't move the end iterator (just
> makes it dereference-able) and in no way impacts your ability to use
> iterator pairs to delimit the binary content of the file. This feature
> does require file contents be copied into local memory (rather than
> mapped in) if the file is exactly a multiple of the system page size.
>
> On 2009-09-24, at 16:44, OvermindDL1 wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Your question is difficult to understand.  MemoryBuffer doesn't
>>> care what is
>>> in the file.  It works fine if you have embedded nul's in the
>>> file.  It just
>>> requires the mapped image to have a nul at the end.
>>
>> I am mostly just curious as to why it requires a nul at the end, seems
>> odd when specifying two pointers for a begin/end style interface.  I
>> am mostly just worried because a library I use returns such iterators
>> that work in Memory Buffer (they are const char*'s as well), but the
>> end pointer is one-past-the-end, and may point into invalid memory
>> (say if it was at the end of a virtual page), thus could cause an
>> access violation.  To prevent that I would need to copy it, and with a
>> sizable chunk of memory that it may be, can cause the program to
>> freeze for a sec.  It would also be nice to not require that as you
>> could create a MemoryBuffer that references some *part* of an existing
>> MemoryBuffer that does not have a nul as the defreferenced end pointer
>> that you are giving in it.  Mostly I just do not understand why this
>> restriction exists, so I am just looking for comprehension.

Out of curiosity, what code in Clang is optimized by doing a pointer
derefence then compare to 0, rather then just comparing two points
directly?  Does not seem that efficient when laid out like that, which
is why I am curious what code actually is helped by that pattern?