[LLVMdev] Status of blocks runtime in compiler-rt?

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Wed Sep 23 00:15:29 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh at apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2009, at 6:21 PM, Shantonu Sen wrote:
>
> I've committed my changes to hook up the BlocksRuntime/ subdirectory of
> compiler-rt, using CMake.
>
> The cmake build process is documented at <http://llvm.org/docs/CMake.html>
>
> Whoops, looks like the presence of a CMakeFiles directory in the SRCROOT was
> screwing things up, even when I was in a build subdirectory.  Blowing that
> away has everything humming away properly now.
> Yep, just got my blocks "hello world!" example to work on FreeBSD 9-current!
>  Success!
> Now to figure out just where to stick this so it's as pervasively available
> on FreeBSD as it is on Mac OS X.  Libc?  Really?

One option I am thinking about pursuing in the near term is better
support (build system and driver) for installing a compiler-rt (as a
private compiler support library) and teaching clang to link with
that. Once that work is done at least for clang it wouldn't have to be
in libc. Eventually one might want it to, to avoid carrying around
static copies of the runtime implementation, but that is a much lower
priority QOI issue than "having it work".

Presumably if that is done for clang it wouldn't be too difficult to
have make the llvm-gcc driver know how to link in the compiler-rt
static library as well.

 - Daniel