[LLVMdev] OT: intel darwin losing primary target status

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Sun Sep 20 16:22:42 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 02:40:17PM -0700, Nick Kledzik wrote:
> I thought of another work around.  The FSF gcc driver can implicitly
> add -no_compact_unwind to the link line.  This tells the linker to not
> produce compact unwind information from the dwarf unwind info in .o
> files.  Then at runtime the darwin unwinder will fallback and use the
> slow dwarf unwind info.
>
> -Nick

Nick,
   The second approach of passing -no_compact_unwind produced excellent
results...

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2009-09/msg01761.html

...eliminating all of the eh regressions in gcc trunk as well as a
few failures in the libjava testsuite present since gcc 4.4. I've
submitted this change for gcc 4.5...

Hopefully FSF won't break backward compatibility with the non-compact
unwind any time soon.
        Jack
ps How does the llvm project intend to handle this issue on the linux
side for llvm-gcc-4.2 and clang? Eventually the libgcc used by the
llvm projects and FSF gcc will fork irreversibly, no? I guess one would
have to resort to a llvm compiler-plugin for FSF gcc and not attempt
to mix code with clang/llvm-gcc-4.2 in that case.