[LLVMdev] FYI: Phoronix GCC vs. LLVM-GCC benchmarks

Stefano Delli Ponti stefano.delliponti at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 10:05:44 PDT 2009

Chris Lattner:
> Comparing -O3 (and even -O4) is interesting, but we want all
> optimization levels to perform better than GCC :).  Lots of people use
> -O2 and -Os, so comparing against other compiler's -O2 and -Os levels
> is just as interesting as comparing -O3 vs -O3.

My thinking was that, for instance, -02 for GCC and -02 for LLVM(-GCC)
do not necessarily mean the same thing, they may be not /commensurable/.
But perhaps, my ignorance, you are saying that they _are_, that LLVM
assigns the same types of optimizations as GCC to the different levels.

Regards,
Stefano