[LLVMdev] Saving/restoring executable code from the the JIT?

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Sun Sep 13 03:23:27 PDT 2009

2009/9/12 Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es>:
> My goal is to avoid waiting several minutes on application startup until
> optimization and native codegen ends. No suspending/restarting, just
> compiling, saving native generated code, and loading on future sessions,
> more akin a conventional compiler.

Saving IR shouldn't be any problem, I guess there is already a way of
doing this, and re-reading it by the JIT again.

>  2. It will require the presence of an import library satisfying the
>  external symbols referenced by the dll, and some of those symbols are
>  unknown until the application starts (this may not apply to unixes, but
>  it does for windows). Essentially, LLVM would have to do the linker's
>  work when the previously saved native code is loaded back by the
>  application on the next session.

No sense when you're just running on the VM. More hassle than savings.
The JVM is a good example on how things go bad when you're linking
native code.

cheers,
--renato

Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at