[LLVMdev] [proposal] Extensible IR metadata

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Fri Sep 11 16:47:52 PDT 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 2:11 PM, Dan Gohman wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2009, at 9:57 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:
>

>> Devang's work on debug info prompted this, thoughts welcome:
>> http://nondot.org/sabre/LLVMNotes/ExtensibleMetadata.txt
>
> The document mentions "instructions" a lot. We'll want to be able to
> apply metadata to ConstantExprs as well at least, if not also
> Arguments
> (think noalias) and other stuff, so it seems best to just talk about
> "values" instead, and DenseMap<Value *, ...> instead of
> DenseMap<Instruction *, ...>.

I wrote: "Note that this document talks about metadata for
instructions, it might make sense to generalize this to being metadata
for all non-uniqued values (global variables, functions, basic blocks,
arguments), but I'm just keeping it simple for now."

However, constant exprs are uniqued.  What would you find it useful for?

-Chris