[LLVMdev] loads from a null address and optimizations

Bill Wendling isanbard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 10:52:07 PDT 2009

The problem he's facing here isn't necessarily one of correctness.
He's dealing with undefined behavior (at least in C code). There are
no guarantees that the compiler will retain a certain semantic
interpretation of an undefined construct between different versions of
the compiler, let alone different optimization levels.

 From what I understand, he wants a particular behavior from the OS (a
signal). The compiler shouldn't have to worry about OS semantics in
the face of undefined language constructs. That being said, if he
wants to implement a couple of passes to change his code, then sure. :-)

-bw