[LLVMdev] should we stop using llvm-as/llvm-dis in tests?

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Sat Sep 5 13:53:52 PDT 2009

A recent commit added the ability to opt and llc to read .ll files
directly. Should we go through and update the existing tests?

   llvm-as < %s | opt ... | llvm-dis

would become:

   opt %s ... -print-module

and

   llvm-as < %s | llc

would become:

   llc < %s

The pro of this is that it would remove the bitcode write and read from
the tests, making them faster. The con of this is that it would remove
the bitcode write and read from the tests, making them less well tested.

Should we not make this change at all? Should we create some sort of
'exhaustive bitcode tests' first, and require that new language features
are added there? Or should we just do it and create "llvm-as < %s |
llvm-dis" tests under test/Bitcode as problems are found?

Also, has anyone else already started doing this?

Nick