[LLVMdev] A simulation tool

Giridhar S thisisgiri at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 16:33:09 PDT 2009

Oprofile for Linux is a pretty good alternative.
(http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/about/)

It uses hardware performance counters to collect profiling information
and therefore has very low overhead, whereas Valgrind performs dynamic
binary instrumentation and can be significantly slow (20-50x slower).
In addition, Cachegrind 'simulates' cache behavior through it's own
cache model, whereas Oprofile (or other counter based profilers)
report real cache events.

Depending on what your needs are (ease of use, runtime overhead, etc)
you could pick either.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Daniel Dunbar<daniel at zuster.org> wrote:
> You mean 'cachegrind'?
>  http://valgrind.org/info/tools.html#cachegrind
>
> I don't know any public tool better than this (but someone please tell
> me if I am misinformed).
>
>  - Daniel
>
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Juan Carlos Martinez
> Santos<juanc.martinez.santos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I am looking for a tool (in Linux or Windows) that allow me to get
>> performance measures like cycle execution, cache accesses, etc. for an x86
>> architecture. I want to estimate the performance overhead due to the
>> modification that I do using LLVM.
>>
>> Any suggestion is welcome.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> --