[LLVMdev] disassembly/decompiling

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Mon Oct 26 14:43:35 PDT 2009

On Oct 26, 2009, at 1:00 AM, Howard Chu wrote:

> Hi, just read the LLVM 2.6 release announcement, the bit about llvm-
> mc caught
> my attention. I've been looking for a tool to disassemble x86 object
> files
> into an IR and then reassemble them into x86_64 object code. The
> immediate use
> for them would be to convert driver blobs that some vendors provide
> for their
> hardware (e.g. the Lucent modem driver) so they can be used in a 64
> bit
> kernel. From the release announcement it looks like llvm-mc isn't
> ready for
> this purpose yet, was just curious if this kind of task was anywhere
> on its
> roadmap. Thanks...

We don't have anything like that planned, but do plan to do an
assembler and disassembler.  The disassembler (for x86-16/32/64) is
iterating on review comments before it goes in.  The assembler is
currently being built out and will initially support macho.
Translating X86-32 to X86-64 sounds tricky but it could probably be
built on some of this infrastructure.

-Chris