[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Developer meeting videos up

Samuel Crow samuraileumas at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 17 14:28:06 PDT 2009

Hello LLVM Developers,

Here's a definite "me too" letter also.  My programming partner and I were planning on coming together in the same car for a 3 day drive there and another 3 day drive back... except that his wife gave birth about 2 or 3 weeks before the conference and he had to stay with her.  SInce I couldn't afford the gas for the trip myself that meant I couldn't come either.

I know that several flavors of BSD have made Clang their default compiler and at least one Linux distro in the works is planning on doing likewise.  Clang is one of the hottest cross-platform projects that open-source has to offer in the sense that it offers a plausible alternative to the GCC toolchain.  The possibility of a cross-compiling to a generic bitcode makes it even more valuable since it greatly simplifies the GCC problem of having to have a separate version of GCC or even LLVM-GCC for each platform being compiled for.

Maybe it would be more practical in future conferences for the Apple engineers to pass crib notes to the non-Apple people involved with the projects and just have non-Apple speakers from now on.  This should get around the rule.  I just hope we don't have to sign non-disclosure agreements upon arrival like some developers' conferences I've been to.

Perhaps next year I can come,

--Sam Crow