[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Developer meeting videos up

Török Edwin edwintorok at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 13:18:31 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-17 20:28, Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2009, at 1:32 AM, Owen Anderson wrote:
>
>> Chris,
>>
>> On Oct 15, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:
>>
>>> Unfortunately, we found out at the last minute that Apple has a rule
>>> which prevents its engineers from giving video taped talks or
>>> distributing slides.  We will hold onto the video and slide assets in
>>> case this rule changes in the future.
>>>
>> While I'm glad to know we all share similar sentiments on this, lots
>> of "me too" emails on this list don't seem likely to change
>> anything.  Is there anyone we can email to express our displeasure
>> at this decision, so that we might have some vague chance of having
>> an impact?
>>

> The people enforcing this policy are applying a blanket policy to a
> situation which (IMO) makes no sense.  I forward every "disgruntled"
> email on to the people in question.  Since they are the defenders of
> "Apple's public image", it seems fairly possible that it may
> eventually sway them.  The more public the griping, the better.
>
> So yes, 'me too' emails are potentially useful.

I would be especially interested in the Scalar Evolution, and Register
Allocation talks (and I wouldn't mind seeing the other Apple talks
either,  for example OpenCL is not something of immediate interest to
me, but perhaps something in the talk could prove interesting/useful).
I think having the talks available is a great way to show Apple's
accomplishments and involvement in LLVM.
I don't know what the reason is behind Apple's policy, there's certainly
nothing to be ashamed about regarding these talks,
and they don't discuss the secret internal workings of an Apple product:
the code for everything that is discussed is publicly available AFAIK.

Either way the people who attended the meeting were able to see and hear
everything, not making the talks available to others only results in
disappointment.

Maybe Apple's marketing dept. could approve each video/slide on a case
by case basis?

Best regards,
--Edwin