[LLVMdev] LLVM as shared libraries

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Oct 7 16:34:32 PDT 2009

Axel Naumann <Axel.Naumann at cern.ch> writes:

>> With cmake it is BUILD_SHARED_LIBS
>>
>> http://www.llvm.org/docs/CMake.html
>
> Great! So I must use CMake instead of configure / make to get shared libs?

I don't know about configure/make. Cmake should work.

>> The doc says it is not recommended because it increases process startup
>> time, which is very noticeable if you run your compiler lots of times
>> (i.e. a test suite).
>
> I'm not, I'm *building* my compiler tons of times ;-)

It takes 8 seconds to statically link a debug-mode JITter with all
optimization passes and bitwriter on a Linux 64bits 2.4 GHz Intel
Q6600. Generates a 114 MB file. If yours requires much more time, check
that you are using a recent version of binutils.

A release mode build links much faster.

> Thanks for your quick reply!

You're welcome.

--