[LLVMdev] Linking library files using llvmc

Ravi Chandhran kmrc87 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 09:25:46 PDT 2009

I was using llvmc along with the -opt option to perform static analyzes in
some of the commonly used programs like bzip2, gzip, grep etc. I found that
when llvmc is used to link libraries (.a or .so files) using the -l option
it passes the library files to the linker ( for me it was llvm-gcc itself)
but changes the order in which it was given to llvmc.

Eg: the command: " llvmc -o grep.o -v  -opt grep.o -L../ -lgreputils "  is
executed as

        llvm-gcc -L../ -lgreputils grep.o -o grep

Note that the library files are pushed to front in llvm-gcc even though it
was given as the last option to llvmc. Due to this llvm-gcc is not able to
resolve the calls made in grep.o to the functions contained in greputils
library.  looks like a bug in llvmc.  The llvm version that I am using is
2.6 and the llvm-gcc version  is  4.2.1.

-Ravichandhran Kandhadai