[LLVMdev] JVM Backend

David Roberts d at vidr.cc
Thu Nov 26 16:57:00 PST 2009

> Who is the expected client of this code?
There are several reasons why compiling to JVM bytecode can be
desirable. For example, it can be executed on platforms that do not
support native code execution for security or other reasons e.g.
browser applets, mobile devices, some webhosts. From the Java
perspective, it allows libraries written in languages such as C to be
used in a cross-platform manner, without the need for reliance on a
native library through JNI.

> Will it be maintained going forward?
I can't guarantee anything, but I'll do my best to keep it maintained.

> Is it going to cover the full generality of LLVM IR constructs?
> How do you plan to handle unsafe IR?
Sorry, I'm still relatively new to LLVM, so I'm not sure what you're
refering to.

If this patch is not to be included in the LLVM source tree, then is
it possible to distribute backends as standalone tools?

--
David Roberts
http://da.vidr.cc/