[LLVMdev] Employment opportunity

Stephan Reiter stephan.reiter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 01:41:37 PST 2009

Hi!

I'm writing this email to you not because I have questions about a
particular optimization pass or because I have found a bug in the LLVM
code. This time the matter is more personal and maybe of interest for
a larger group of people.

For the last few months I have been working on a compiler for a domain
specific language that will be introduced in a commercial design and
visualization product next year. The compiler is based on the LLVM,
which I have been using since version 2.4, then within the scope of my
Master's thesis also in the field of computer graphics.
At the end of the year I'm leaving my current employer in order to
return to university (PhD programme). An employment opportunity
(full-time) for a software engineer specialized in compiler
construction is therefore vacant, which I wanted to share with you.

In case someone is interested please contact me directly, but first
I'd like to give you a few more details about this project:

The basic goal is to create a DSL that can be used to describe
properties of 3D shapes and their interactions with each other and the
environment, and to convey this information to a renderer. The product
I mentioned supports rendering on both, CPUs and GPUs, with different
rendering algorithms, e.g. rasterization, ray tracing, path tracing,
etc. which should be supported all alike.
In the CPU-backend an interesting problem is automatic vectorization
of code. Targetting the GPU, on the other hand, will require
compilation to languages such as PTX, CUDA, GLSL, etc., which all have
their own set of limitations and specific features to deal with.

If you are looking for new challenges, I'm positive that you will like
this position a lot! After the time I have spent here, I can say
without hesitation that there are a lot of nice, talented, and
enthusiastic people here. The work environment is also great (open,
friendly ambience) and relaxed, which is probably due to the fact that
the average age is less than 30, if I had to guess. :-)
We have offices around the world, in Asia, Europe, and North America,
although I suppose that for this particular position relocation to
Germany would be required. But don't quote me on that!

So, feel free to get in touch with me if this has sparked your interest!

Ciao,
Stephan