[LLVMdev] -O0 compile time speed

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Sun Nov 22 09:41:13 PST 2009

Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt at gulbrandsen.priv.no> writes:

>>>  Why?
>>
>> I want the compiler to build things quickly in all modes, but -O0 in
>> particular is important for a fast compile/debug/edit cycle. Are you
>> asking why fast compilers are good?
>
> Sort of. Why you think more speed than LLVM currently provides is a
> significant benefit.

My compiler supports LLVM as a backend. The language heavily relies on
compile-time environment-dependent code generation, so it needs the
JIT. One of the things that is holding back LLVM on production systems
is that it needs minutes to JIT a medium-sized application. That's
barely tolerable for long-running server applications, and a big no-no
for client apps.

> Here's a suggestion, anyway.
[snip]

I'm afraid that you are not being too original with that suggestion :-)

--
Óscar