[LLVMdev] Google's Go

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Thu Nov 19 13:36:09 PST 2009

2009/11/19 Jon Harrop <jon at ffconsultancy.com>:
> I've tested it and LLVM is indeed 2x slower to compile, although it generates
> code that is 2x faster to run...

This is ok if the code is too small to be worth optimizations or
complex codegen and need to be generated in huge volumes (something
that Google has, for sure). For all other cases, I can't see the
point.

In that sense, they've created a domain-specific compiler for a
domain-specific language, which will obviously perform better than
anything else in their case and worse than anything else for all other
cases. I don't see any novelty in that...

 cheers,
--renato

Reclaim your digital rights, eliminate DRM, learn more at