[LLVMdev] fastcc and ExecutionEngine::getPointerToFunction()

Kenneth Uildriks kennethuil at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 10:22:55 PST 2009

> I agree with you OvermindDL1,
>
> SInce the language I'm going to be working on doesn't support varargs, it would be nice to be able to ditch the C calling convention for fastcc in all occurrances for an added speed boost.  I also will need to add my own library calling convention on one platform I plan on supporting which will be register-loaded as well.

Are you going to be calling the JITted function from C++, or from your language?

If the former, you'll need the function you're calling from C++ to
have a calling convention that C++ understands.  You could always
write a helper function with the C calling convention that does
nothing but call the real function which has the fastcc convention.
Of course this would only give you a performance win if the real
target function is also called from other JITted code, or if it's
written out to bitcode and llc'd later with calls into it from other
bitcode.