[LLVMdev] RFC: New Exception Handling Proposal

David Greene dag at cray.com
Wed Nov 18 14:48:15 PST 2009

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 16:22, Bill Wendling wrote:
> I've been looking into a new way to implement exception handling in
> LLVM. The current model has many disadvantages, in my opinion. I try
> to address them with this proposal. I also try to make exception
> handling much more understandable to the normal human reader. :-) Any
> new proposal will need to address all present and future languages'
> exception handling methodologies. I believe that I created something
> which is generic enough.
>
> Please read and let me know your opinions!

I'm definitely not an expert in this domain but the proposal looks
very good.  I prefer to have the filters and personality as part of
the function symbol itself, not in the entry block or at the definition.
That way one doesn't need a function definition to know some things
about the function.  Perhaps it's part of the function type.  I'm not
sure what the best way to go is.

I'm not sure if that's feasible in all languages with separate compilation,
though.  I believe C++ requires a function declaration throw clause to match
the function definition.  Someone with more knowledge will have to answer.

And even if the language requires consistency, we all know programmers
provide something less.  :)

                                 -Dave