[LLVMdev] SAFECode Source Code Released

Török Edwin edwintorok at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 13:25:31 PST 2009

On 2009-11-16 22:46, John Criswell wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> My initial message (containing the patch) was a private reply to John.
>>
>> Attached the patch again, it applies with 'patch -p0'.
>>
>> Also try to build on x86-32, x86-64 is not quite ready yet.
>>
> Actually, I made one small change to the patch.  I kept -Werror in
> Makefile.common.in.  It's better if we fix these warnings; -Werror
> provides incentive for that.
>
> I'll consider removing it if there's a problem that's not trivially
> fixable.

That leaves us with the aliasing violations. I looked at the first, and
I couldn't tell why gcc (4.3.4) thinks it is wrong:
safecode/runtime/BitmapPoolAllocator/PoolAllocatorBitMask.cpp:185:
warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
Line 185 is: PS->addToList((PoolSlab**)&Pool->Ptr2);

and Ptr2 is a field of type void*. Isn't void* compatible with anything?

Best regards,
--Edwin