[LLVMdev] difference between alias set tracker and alias analysis evaluator

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Fri May 29 08:21:19 PDT 2009

On May 29, 2009, at 3:35 AM, Amr Yehia wrote:

> so my questions finally are:
> - why is there is a difference between the 2 results,
> - how can i get the alias set tracker to give me all the aliasing
> results returned by alias analysis evaluator

This is an inherent limitation of aliassettracker: it unions the
results of alias queries into "sets".  Because of this, transitive
results cannot be distinguished.  For example, if "A mayalias B", and
"B mayalias C" alias set tracker will tell you that "a and c are in
the same set" even if AliasAnalysis knows they don't alias.  You can
use AliasAnalysis directly or use MemoryDependenceAnalysis for more
precise results.

-Chris