[LLVMdev] Building LLVM with cmake on FreeBSD

Kenneth Boyd zaimoni at zaimoni.com
Sun May 24 18:11:05 PDT 2009

Chuck Robey wrote:
> Óscar Fuentes wrote:

>>> They absolutely do work, even on FreeBSD-current( I run that here),
>>> but not using the native make (the one built as part of "make world"
>>> which is a direct descendant of "pmake".  You have to use the GNU
>>> make,
>>>
>> Uh? My FreeBSD installment has `make' and no `gmake'. `make' is indeed
>> BSD make.
>>
>> So, to recap, right now LLVM svn builds fine on FreeBSD 7.2 using BSD
>> `make' with the makefiles generated by cmake.
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>>> I did give you one example of a statement I found in your makefiles,
>>> which I'm absolutely certain can't be understood by our make.
>>>
>> It is obvious that you are not reading what I write.
>>

> Not completely, because (at least to me) it's not making sense against what I
> find.  I'd been lookiing at the llvm version 2.3, so I just got a copy of 2.5,
> and I looked at the Makefile that came right out of the tarball, then I
> regenerated the Makefile via the supplied configure script.
You have verified that the current autoconf/configure system won't work
for *BSD.

That has nothing to do with CMake.
===
The main problem I have with CMake, is that I have to *intentionally
break* the stock install before it will work: the instant you install
the standard MingW32 sh at the same time as the other MingW32 tools,
CMake is dead in the water.  The MSYS project type has a test that
causes an immediate crash if it finds sh on the path.

While I didn't explain myself clearly on the CMake lists and bugtracker
( http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7870 ), I got no hint that a
patch to remediate the situation would be accepted.

Kenneth