[LLVMdev] CMake build maturity

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Fri May 22 14:04:40 PDT 2009

Paul Melis <llvm at assumetheposition.nl> writes:

> Hi, just chiming in here...
>
> Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> This is a simple guide for using cmake with LLVM:
>>
>> http://www.llvm.org/docs/CMake.html
>>
>> The makefiles distributed with LLVM have nothing to do with cmake.
>>From the few times I tried building LLVM with CMake I got the impression
> that it wasn't completely mature yet (the "TODO" sections in the page
> you mention above reinforce that impression).

What's immature is the documentation, mostly because it tries to go
beyond what's really required. But on the other hand anyone who knows
how to use cmake shouldn't need the documentation, except perhaps for
the part that explains some variables specific to the LLVM build. (That
part is complete). A TODO on the web page doesn't mean that the feature
is missing. Cross compiling, for instance, should work (it worked when I
tried months ago) but it is not documented. You need to read the cmake
documentation for learning how to cross-compile.

Right now the only fundamental thing missing on the cmake build spec is
running the tests.

> I remember at least one other build error in the past, related to
> building a non-X86 backend.
>
> With current svn I get:

[snip]

> Mutex.cpp:(.text+0x3f): undefined reference to `pthread_mutex_trylock'
> ../../lib/libLLVMSystem.a(Mutex.cpp.o): In function
> `llvm::sys::Mutex::Mutex(bool)':

[snip]

Thanks! Fixed.

BTW, bug reports are welcome.