[LLVMdev] Reusing CFG structures

Slobodan Pejic pejic at ualberta.ca
Fri May 22 08:18:24 PDT 2009

Ball Larus path profiling requires temporarily changing the CFG by
replacing backedges (such as those caused by loops) in order to
determine instrumentation placement, and attaching increments to edges
[Ball96].  As far as I understand the CFG available through the
BasicBlock class directly corresponds to the IR.  I would rather not
change the IR except to insert the profiling code.  So, is there a graph
structure that can be reused for such a purpose? Am I approaching this
the wrong way?

Thanks

[Ball96]
T. Ball and J. R. Larus. "Efficient Path Profiling."
International Symposium on Microarchitecture, pages 46-57, 1996.
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=243857