[LLVMdev] Arm port

Christophe Avoinne christophe.avoinne at laposte.net
Thu May 21 01:49:14 PDT 2009

Hi,

- Cortex-A8 needs a specific instruction scheduler as dual issue forces
you to interleave some instructions to allow to run two instructions in
the same cycle for the best performance (Cortex-A9 is out-of-order so
dual issue is not an issue (!) for performance).
- Cortex-A8/A9 have several useful new instructions : for instance, bit
operations like bitfield insertion/extraction or having a pair of
instruction MOVW,MOVT to read a 32-bitconstant/address into only 2
instruction instead of 3 or 4, etc.
- VFPv3 is supported for backward compatibility but they are very slow
and not pipelined.
- NEON (SIMD coprocessor) can do a lot of impressive operations on
32-bit float or integer of any size. Most VFP operations can be done
through NEON for better performance.

Considering GCC can produce ARMv7, LLVM is not a good candidate as long
as the latter has no support ARMv7.

The main advantage about LLVM is for its ability to produce in run-time
a native code unlike GCC. But the result would be very suboptimal for
some goals.