[LLVMdev] Compiler error: LoopStrengthReduce.cpp

OvermindDL1 overminddl1 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 17:01:31 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Dale Johannesen <dalej at apple.com> wrote:

> On May 12, 2009, at 3:09 PMPDT, OvermindDL1 wrote:
>
>> The error given:
>>
>> ..\..\..\..\trunk\lib\Transforms\Scalar\LoopStrengthReduce.cpp(1016) :
>> error C2668: 'abs' : ambiguous call to overloaded function
>>
>> It should be rather obvious from the message.  The error is in
>> LoopStrengthReduce.cpp on line 1016:
>>          (unsigned(abs(SInt)) < SSInt || (SInt % SSInt) != 0))
>>
>>> From looking at the code and what it looks like it should be doing, I
>> cannot really tell whether it should use the 32-bit override, or if it
>> should use something like the long double override, considering this
>> is a 64-bit integer.
>
> It should be a 64-bit integer abs, although gcc seems to be generating
> code for 32-bit integer (which, in this code, would give the expected
> answer in any reasonable example).  There are 4 occurrences of this
> usage in that file (with 3 different authors) so I think we need to
> write one; apparently nobody realized there wasn't one in the standard
> libraries (I didn't either).

Ah, I mentioned it before, but was told that the error was not
appearing with GCC and they were busy at the time, so I just have been
inserting an (int) in my version ever since, but it reappeared when I
synced back to trunk today since I deleted my version, and I have just
been reporting random things I have been crossing.  I noticed a few
other warnings about struct/class forward declarations as well, but
did not catch them in time, I intend to look through it closely later
and report more.

So, for now, just keep using (int) in my version until it is fixed in trunk?