[LLVMdev] LLVM related question

Rotem Varon varonrotem at gmail.com
Sat May 9 05:35:45 PDT 2009

Hi,
I am a student (software engineering), and i am using the LLVM in my project
(I am sorry of the lack of details, but i want to take the minimum of your
time, if you want more details don't hesitate...).

I need to add a new optimization to the LLVM compiler.
The optimization ALREADY written for x86 IR (i mean that the code that
handles the optimization is designated to work on assembly 86) .
So, this is what i think -
I will add a Basic Block Pass to the LLVM, the code of the pass will iterate
etch instruction and convert it to x86 IR, now the optimization will take
place, after the optimization i will convert the x86 IR code back into LLVM
IR.

To the question(s):
Do you think my idea is a good one (if yes, do you see any
problems implementing this)?
Do you have another idea?
Is the LLVM have such built in capability ( converting LLVM IR to other IRs
) ?

Grateful for you time.
Thank you.