[LLVMdev] PointerIntPair causing trouble

Stefanus Du Toit stefanus.dutoit at rapidmind.com
Fri May 1 15:40:54 PDT 2009

Hi Nicolas,

Looks like Preston and I have found the cause of the problem. The
issue is with PointerLikeTypeTraits<T*>::NumLowBitsAvailable. This is
set to 3, which basically assumes that unless the traits are
specialized for a particular pointer type, objects of that type are
allocated with malloc() and aligned to 8 bytes.

While PointerLikeTypeTraits is overloaded for Use*, it is not
overloaded for User*. lib/VMCore/Use.cpp uses a PointerIntPair<User*,
1, Tag>, and things go bad. Users are typically allocated in an array
after a bunch of Uses, which are 12 bytes in size, so they may
actually only be aligned to 4 bytes.

The attached patch (which I don't intend to commit, it's just a
workaround) works around this simply by dropping this down to 2 bits,
which gets us past our problem on Windows. I would appreciate if you
could verify that this works for you as well.

To actually solve this properly I see two main options:

(1) we could specialize PointerLikeTypeTraits for User*, and leave the
default value of NumLowBitsAvailable at 3.
(2) we could drop the default NumLowBitsAvailable to 2 (or even use
_alignof and similar compiler-specific extensions to determine it),
and allow classes that assert that they are only ever allocated
through malloc to relax it back up to 3.

My preference would be for option (2), due to the difficulty of
tracking this bug down, and the risk of future similar bugs happening.
However, I'd appreciate some feedback from the LLVM developer
community on this. Please let me know what you think, and I'll be
happy to prepare a patch.

I'm still wondering why this wasn't an issue on other platforms. One
possibility is that Use is being bumped up to 16 bytes in size, and
thus Users never get placed at less than an 8-byte boundary. However,
in that case, the whole point of the "use diet" optimization is lost!
I'll investigate and try to find out.

I'm also still not sure why the assertion in
PointerIntPair::setPointer() did not get triggered by the
User::allocHungOffUses() implementation in Use.cpp. Perhaps the
assertion is wrong (it looks reasonable, though) or perhaps there is
something else going on I haven't seen yet. I'll look into this some
more as well.

Let me know if the workaround works for you, and I'd appreciate
feedback from anyone (Chris? Gabor?) as to how best to proceed.

Thanks!

Stefanus

--
Stefanus Du Toit <stefanus.dutoit at rapidmind.com>