[LLVMdev] MSIL codegen

Artur Pietrek artur.pietrek at kalray.eu
Mon Mar 30 04:46:05 PDT 2009

Nicolas Geoffray wrote:
> Hi Artur,
>
> Artur Pietrek wrote:
>> We want to use LLVM framework for MSIL code generation, which is part of
>> my thesis.
>> Currently I'm still reading LLVM's documentation and I've started
>> completing the MSIL backend for running on Mono.
> What's the rationale for generating MSIL in your case? Is it to use the
> .Net libraries or to leverage execution of your programs on a .Net VM?
> In both cases, have you looked at VMKit? (http://vmkit.llvm.org) Is
> there a reason why it would not fill your needs?

The main reason is to generate MSIL from C. There are some other
solutions for that, but they do not provide good way to link multimodule
programs and do not provide as good optimization and analysis framework
as LLVM.
> (Not that I want you to consider improving VMKit for your gsoc, but I'm
> just wondering why do you want to generate MSIL if it's to run it on Mono).

Mono is just a reference. Of course the code should also run on .NET and
other implementations.
As I've mentioned before, MSIL is just a part of my thesis. The real
part is to do "something" later with that "MSIL generated from C" code .

Note that my work has nothing in common with GSoC. We will use LLVM for
MSIL code generation so we want to contribute back to the community and
as far as we know no one is working on that backend anymore.
> Thanks!
> Nicolas

Regards,
Artur