[LLVMdev] GSoC'09 question - previous mail w/o html

Anthony Danalis adanalis at eecs.utk.edu
Fri Mar 27 19:39:21 PDT 2009

On Mar 27, 2009, at 9:15 PM, Dan Gohman wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2009, at 8:28 AM, Mihai Balint wrote:
>>
>> This summer however, I plan to create an "optimization" that
>> automatically fixes memory leaks in programs - obviously only those
>> that can be fixed with the available information, for example:
>
> Hello,
>
> This doesn't sound advisable.  A memory leak in a normal C/C++ program
> is a bug, so this wouldn't be an optimization -- it'd be a
> transformation that
> unreliably hides bugs.
>
> Dan

It doesn't sound correct either.  I, for one, have a multithreaded
code where all "created" threads allocate "request" objects, put them
in a list and wake up the main thread.  The main thread on the other
hand sleeps, consumes requests, frees the objects it consumed and goes
back to sleep in a loop.  There is no path between the malloc() and
the free(), but that's how it is supposed to be, there is no leak.

Anthony