[LLVMdev] OT: Python on LLVM

Paul Melis llvm at assumetheposition.nl
Thu Mar 26 06:20:02 PDT 2009

Hi,

Slightly off-topic (as it's not directly about using or developing LLVM):

http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/wiki/ProjectPlan

"Our long-term proposal is to replace CPython's custom virtual machine
with a JIT built on top of LLVM, while leaving the rest of the Python
runtime relatively intact."

Just curious, has anyone here heard more about this project?

Regards,
Paul

P.S. If I'd heard about this just 6 days later (e.g. Aprils Fools) I
wouldn't have believed it, especially with that project name. There's just
something weird about suddenly finding a project that's obviously been
going on for some time (the roadmap is very detailed and they have initial
working code), while I spend quite some time on Python and LLVM related
lists and never saw a reference to it.