[LLVMdev] GSoC 2009 application

Kshitiz Garg ksh.cseiitk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 03:45:30 PDT 2009

Hello,
    I am a final semester Dual Degree( B.Tech. M.Tech.) student from Indian
Institute of Technology, Kanpur. I was looking forward to participate in
this year's GSoC 2009.Starting Fall 2009 i shall be pursuing a Phd in
compilers. I am having a good background in compilers. My current masters
thesis is aimed at automatic parallel code from c programs target for the
Cell Processor using speculative and runtime parallelization techniques. As
a part of this I am taking a profile driven approach to figure out the
program access paterns to accurately model the same.
    I am using LLVM as the underlying compiler infrastructure so am already
familiar to some extent with the LLVM system. I am adding new passes to LLVM
to utilize the profile information for a weighted alias analysis , advanced
loop transformations and codegenration for Cell passes. I am using the PIN
tool for obtaining the profile data. I hope to contribute these passes once
I have completed my thesis and modified the code to LLVM coding
specifications.
   I was interested in taking up the project ideas on adding profile driven
optimization passes and improving alias analysis as this would give me a
chance to carry forward and improve my current work and also contribute
significantly in terms of tangibles. I feel that my exposure to these areas
during my thesis shall be an added advantage helping me to acclimatize with
the project early enough. I have strong C/C++ skills acquired by working on
several projects including my thesis. Besides my thesis I have previously
taken classes on Compilers, compilers optimizations, parallel programming
and multicore architectures. As part of compilers class project I had to
implemented a compiler for the Oberon programming language from scratch.
   I was wondering if someone is willing to mentor me on  the above
projects. It would be a great help if i could get to interact with the
project mentor in order to identify the project miles stones and goals
before making the formal proposal.

with best regards,
Kshitiz
--