[LLVMdev] setting up LLVM to *run on* amd64 but *generate code* for alpha

Zack Weinberg zackw at panix.com
Fri Mar 20 22:46:09 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:
>> It is really really important for everything that has a "configure"
>> script to support the baseline set of options defined by Autoconf,
>> *with the semantics described in the Autoconf manual*.
>
> Sure, we have that.  If you were asking about llvm-gcc, I could have
> explained how to do that very simply.  You were asking about LLVM (a generic
> framework for building compilers out of) and clang (which is not fully
> mature and doesn't have this sort of thing yet) so you got the "current
> answer".

This then may be a documentation problem more than anything else; the
website gave the impression that it wasn't actually necessary to build
llvm-gcc, just download the binaries and put them next to a build of
llvm core.  Also, it was not clear to me which of llvm-gcc and clang
was a more appropriate choice for the kind of project I was doing, so
I picked the "native" one... perhaps that was the real mistake.

zw