[LLVMdev] Garbage collection

Nicolas Geoffray nicolas.geoffray at lip6.fr
Mon Mar 16 05:18:25 PDT 2009

Hi Talin,

Talin wrote:
> BTW, have you look at MMTk (http://jikesrvm.org/MMTk) ? This is the
> garbage collection library that underlies JikesRVM. It is a
> 'research-oriented' implementation, meaning that it has lots of
> configurable settings and plugin interfaces for implementing a broad
> range of collection algorithms. I was amused by the fact that "building
> a hybrid copying/mark-sweep collector" is one of the steps in their
> tutorial :)
>
> Of particular interest for LLVM is MMTk's API for communicating with the VM:
>
>    http://rvm.codehaus.org/docs/api/org/mmtk/vm/VM.html
>    http://rvm.codehaus.org/docs/api/org/mmtk/vm/Memory.html
>    http://rvm.codehaus.org/docs/api/org/mmtk/vm/Barriers.html
>
> Although MMTk is far too much of a Swiss Army Knife for my purposes -
> too generalized and too complex - nevertheless some of its abstractions
> might be useful starting points for designing the kind of building
> blocks we've been talking about.  One major simplification is that we
> know that we're building on top of LLVM, so many of the tunable
> parameters in MMTk can be replaced with constants :)
>
> One challenge is that MMTk's idioms for pluggability and extensibility
> are fairly Java-centric.

That's where I come in :) So I've been thinking of using MMTk in VMKit
for quite a while. I think it would be the best solution for GC in LLVM
for starters. The design of MMTk is VM-agnostic and hopefully should not
need too much difficulty in interfacing with LLVM.

Now for the Java part. VMKit recently has had an implementation of an
ahead of time compiler (vmjc) that generates a .ll file. The file can
then be compiled in a shared library to be loaded by VMKit. I think by
tuning/optimizing vmjc, we can benefit from the runtime optimizations
that MMTk relies on for performance. That's only an impression, since I
haven't investigated completely on the subject.

I've added an open projects entry into the list of open projects for
GSoC on VMKit (http://vmkit.llvm.org/OpenProjects.html). I know other
research groups have shown some interests on having MMTk ported to LLVM.

Nicolas