[LLVMdev] n00b question: From module/bitcode to Mach-O dylib file directly?

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Sun Mar 15 20:16:18 PDT 2009

On Monday 16 March 2009 02:54:53 Luke Evans wrote:
> > Aaah. Wasn't quite sure what you were doing here. I'm not positive
> > what llvm can emit via the writers (there's support for all parts of
> > the file format), but it could be extended to write one out. I'm just
> > not quite sure why :)
> >
> > -eric
>
> Well, ultimately I'm curious about what it would take to port a JVM
> based language (http://openquark.org) to LLVM.

You might consider building on HLVM instead:

  http://hlvm.forge.ocamlcore.org/

HLVM provides everything from tuples and boxed types to a garbage collector.
You just supply it with an AST, either incrementally for JIT compilation
(e.g. from a REPL) or it can spit out bitcode to build an executable.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e