[LLVMdev] Issue with paper http://llvm.org/devmtg/2008-08/Geoffray_VMKitProject.pdf and presentation http://hal.inria.fr/docs/00/35/45/77/PDF/RR-6799.pdf

Kirill Kononenko kirill.kononenko at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 08:25:42 PST 2009

Hello Dear LLVM Developers and Users

I would like to complain about scientific inaccuracy of the paper
http://hal.inria.fr/docs/00/35/45/77/PDF/RR-6799.pdf written by
Nicolas Geoffray, Gaël Thomas, Charles Clément, Bertil Folliot, Gilles
Muller and presentation done by Nicolas Geoffray on LLVM conference
supported by Google:
http://llvm.org/devmtg/2008-08/Geoffray_VMKitProject.pdf

They provide comparison of their system that uses LLVM, with our
system Portable.NET that uses LibJIT for Just-In-Time compilation.
All measures in this paper have been done for Portable.NET 0.7.4,
which does not use LibJIT as its engine. However, the author provides
results of Portable.NET 0.7.4. as results of LibJIT. The Portable.NET
0.7.4 uses a dynamic compiler, which has nothing in common with the
project and development of LibJIT. We are very upset with these papers
and that there are such "researchers" in your group. Portable.NET
0.7.4 was released 3 years ago. LibJIT have been developed during the
last 3 years. We require that you remove this paper and this
presentation and make official excuses not only in this maillist but
also on the next conferences when you talk about LLVM.

Thanks,
Kirill