[LLVMdev] Why LLVM should NOT have garbage collection intrinsics[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

Gordon Henriksen gordonhenriksen at me.com
Sun Mar 1 13:33:06 PST 2009

On 2009-03-01, at 14:11, Mark Shannon wrote:

> Without the ability to traverse the stack in a portable way, the
> only way I can write a portable GC is to avoid the llvm intrinsics.
> Therefore, they are useless and should be removed.

Nonsense. Compare at: DWARF EH tables vs. unwind support in libgcc
(not LLVM). It would be more accessible for those developing novel
runtimes if LLVM incorporated facilities to make building runtimes
easier, however—which is precisely what this thread was about to begin
with.

— Gordon

P.S. HP has published a library that should work to crawl the stack
for return addresses. It is permissively licensed.

http://www.nongnu.org/libunwind/