[LLVMdev] simulating c style unions in LLVM

Talin viridia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 01:41:32 PDT 2009

Eli Friedman wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Carter Cheng<carter_cheng at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Since pointer sizes are platform dependent if I am trying to use the union in question with an extern C function is it possible to make write the single definition in a platform independent way?
>>

> Not really; there's some discussion of that in the thread starting at
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2009-May/022132.html .

And it is something I still want to pursue, but last time I was unable
to get a consensus on the implementation approach, so I put it off and
worked on other things in the mean time.

As far as the behavior and syntax, I think that's mostly settled - Chris
suggested the struct syntax with a 'u' prefix, and I am fine with that.

-- Talin