[LLVMdev] making trampolines more portable

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Wed Jun 17 15:12:30 PDT 2009

Eli Friedman wrote:
 > Also, for lack of an intrinsic, there's a relatively easy workaround:
 > you can declare a global containing the correct size, then link in a
 > small target-specific .bc with the definition right before code
 > generation.

So why can't LLVM provide that global?  I don't care whether it's a
global, intrinsic, or whatever.  If I have to provide it in my software,
I'll have to track any changes that happen in LLVM-generated trampolines
in the future.

My point is that LLVM is unnecessarily requiring software that generates
LLVM bitcode to know things about the target, which defeats the purpose
of the "V" in LLVM.

I should be able to generate a .bc file, and email it to someone, and
they should be able to use it, all without my having any clue whatsoever
about what target architecture they're using.

Eric