[LLVMdev] possible PowerPC (32bits) backend bug

seventh moon suigintou_ at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 16 23:52:57 PDT 2009

I have been doing some playing with the patterns that define complex
instructions, and I saw a behavior that doesn't look right.
I think its a bug in the PPC backend.

The 32-bit PPC .td file defines a pattern for the fnmsubs instruction like this:

def : Pat<(fsub F4RC:$B, (fmul F4RC:$A, F4RC:$C)),
          (FNMSUBS F4RC:$A, F4RC:$C, F4RC:$B)>,
          Requires<[FPContractions]>;

The unique feature of this parttern is that it maps a pair of
LLVM IR instructions into a single PPC instruction.

def FNMSUBS : AForm_1<59, 30,(outs F4RC:$FRT), (ins F4RC:$FRA, F4RC:$FRC, F4RC:$FRB),
                    "fnmsubs $FRT, $FRA, $FRC, $FRB", FPGeneral,
                    [(set F4RC:$FRT, (fneg (fsub (fmul F4RC:$FRA, F4RC:$FRC),F4RC:$FRB)))]>,
                    Requires<[FPContractions]>;

Now I wrote a little toy program that, when compiled, uses this instruction.
Here is the program:

#include<stdio.h>

int main()
{
  float a,b,c;
  b = b * c;
  a = a - b;
  return 0;
}

And here is the assembly:

<Insert the pPPC assembly here>
 .text
 .global main
 .type main, @function
 .align 2
main:
 lfs 0, -8(1)
 lfs 1, -12(1)
 li 3, 0
 fmuls 2, 1, 0
 stfs 2, -12(1)
 lfs 2, -16(1)
 fnmsubs 0, 1, 0, 2
 stfs 0, -16(1)
 stw 3, -20(1)
 stw 3, -4(1)
BB1_1: # return
 lwz 3, -4(1)
 blr
 .size main,.-main

At a glance, it looks right. Line 12 is, indeed the "fnmsubs" command, so
the pattern did work. But look at Line 9. Here we see that the "fmuls"
also happened! In effect, this means that the fmul happens TWICE.

That can't be right can it? Unfortunately, I don't have a PPC emulator,
so I can't run the code and see if it actually works or not.
But it does not look right to me.

It is a problem, right? Is there any solution? Because I would like to
also use multiple-IR patterns, for the backend I am working on.

Thank you for your assistance,
Kao Chang