[LLVMdev] ML types in LLVM

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Mon Jun 15 22:58:42 PDT 2009

On Sunday 14 June 2009 14:09:33 Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Florian Weimer<fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> > Is this really a problem for MLton?  I think you only get less precise
> > alias analysis, and that's it.
>
> Correct. However, I want a fair comparison between LLVM performance
> and the native x86 codegen. If I don't give LLVM the same information
> the x86 codegen has, it's an unfair comparison.

Even if this puts LLVM at an unfair disadvantage, I think you will find that
LLVM will thrash MLton's current x86 backend anyway.

I did some benchmarking on HLVM and found that it was often several times
faster than OCaml when the GC is not the bottleneck:

http://flyingfrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/performance-ocaml-vs-hlvm-beta-04.html

And, of course, OCaml is fast as ML compilers go...

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e