[LLVMdev] VmKit Question.

Nicolas Geoffray nicolas.geoffray at lip6.fr
Mon Jun 15 07:47:29 PDT 2009

Hi Saman,

The Release/bin/vmjc tool is the .class --> .bc compiler. It will
compile .class files and .jar files to .bc files.

If you want to generate an executable with this .bc file, the process is
more difficult. First you need to go to the tools/vmjc/libvmjc directory
and type:
make ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1

This should create a Release/lib/libvmjc.so file (assuming you're on
Linux/x86, I'm having troubles with other archs), which contains the
base classes (ie rt.jar) native representation (whose abi is vmkit
specific). Now, to generate an executable, here's what you should do:

1) set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the path containing the libvmjc.so
2) set PATH to contain the llvm binaries and the vmkit binaries
3) Use llcj with the same command line arguments than gcj, e.g: llcj
--main=Test -O3 -o Test Test.class

This will be more documented at some point on the vmkit website, but
with this info, you should be all set! And don't hesitate to ask if
you're having trouble setting the compiler up.

Cheers,
Nicolas