[LLVMdev] obtaining IR for CellBE code

Scott Michel scottm at aero.org
Wed Jun 10 15:03:46 PDT 2009

Kshitz:

The llvm-gcc frontend will _not_ produce the IR. Specifically, the
LLVM Cell BE (not "CELLBE") backend needs to capture and expand i32
multiplies. I'm sure there're other bugs that need to be fixed.

What you want to do, if you really, absolutely want to produce IR is
use llvm-gcc for PowerPC or x86 to produce the bitcode file. Then, use
llc to generate the assembly language output for the Cell. But...
don't use stdio in your code (printf will not work!). There are other
gotcha's, like using v2i32 vectors (i.e., non-standard vector sizes
that aren't 128-bits long) and alignment, but so far, it's a strategy
that's worked to test code locally when I've had a cycle or two to do
development.

-scooter
  (The Department Director Lives!)