[LLVMdev] LLVM Logo

dpenry dpenry at ee.byu.edu
Thu Jul 30 09:06:28 PDT 2009

Did you mean to spell it as in the Welsh name?  The usual spelling is
Llewellyn or Llewelyn

Someone asked about pronunciation.   The 'll' sound doesn't exist in
English: it's an aspirated 'l'.  Say an 'l' while hissing out of one
side of your mouth, and you'll get a crude approximation of it.

Llewellyn: hlew - EHL - in
Llewelyn: hlew - EL - in

However, I have heard English speakers just say the 'll' as an 'l' and
not get the ew quite right, giving lou-ellen.  That's probably the most
common pronunciation of it in the US.

--David