[LLVMdev] llc - generation of native machine code

Aaron Gray aaronngray.lists at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 27 13:14:40 PDT 2009

2009/7/27 Eli Friedman <eli.friedman at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Rudskyy<tema13tema at yahoo.de> wrote:
> > But now I am looking for generation of machine code for my target. I have
> > seen, that “llc” has option "-filetype".
> >
> > It has default value "-filetype=asm", but has more values, as
> > "-filetype=obj" and "-filetype=dynlib".
> >
> > “obj” is very interesting, but it till not supported L
>
> There's work in progress to make this work properly, but it's still a
> while off.  See http://wiki.llvm.org/Direct_Object_Code_Emission .

Hi,

We are "short circuiting" alot of this work in order to hopefully get basic
working ELF and COFF writers into the next release of LLVM. Alot of the DOCE
work is toward a longer goal of providing linkers for LLVM.
It is best to talk to Chris Lattner and Bruno Cardoso about the ELF writer.
You would need to add support for you target CPU such as relocation
information and debugging information.

Bruno is working on his GSoC project and will be doing both ELF and DWARF
support, the DWARF support probably wont be ready until the end of September
though.

There is very basic functioning ELF for X86 on SVN now. Patches for other
target archetectures are most welcome

 Aaron