[LLVMdev] Two Regalloc Enhancements

David Greene dag at cray.com
Thu Jul 23 16:23:55 PDT 2009

On Thursday 23 July 2009 18:07, Evan Cheng wrote:

> Ok. As with any heuristics change, some tests will benefit, some will
> suffer. I am ok with both sets of changes assuming there are ways to
> control them.

Yep, we have flags.

> Post-ra scheduling has been working for a while. The reason it's not
> turned on for x86 is it's not helping much (1 or 2%) while the compile
> time cost is too high (~9% codegen time). I assume you guys are doing
> your experiments using AMD processors. It could be Intel's uArch is
> just not benefiting from the load scheduling.

Yes, I can imagine there would be differences here.  The memory architectures
are quite different.

> Round-robin register assignment probably will help post-ra scheduling.
> However, for small functions it may end up increase the number of
> registers used. That can be bad for performance.

Correct.  As I said, we haven't noticed any degredation.  But our code base is
very different from yours.  :)

> > What's the community's opinion on whether these two features are worth
> > committing to the public repository?
>
> I welcome the features as long as we can add them as llc-beta first.
> Once we have some more testing across all the platforms, we can then
> decide whether they can be turned on. Is that ok?

Fine with me.  How do I do this?  Just put them under some flags that default
to false?

                                  -Dave