[LLVMdev] x86 unwind support[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

Kenneth Uildriks kennethuil at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 08:31:19 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Duncan Sands<baldrick at free.fr> wrote:
>> Yes.  Wasn't that obvious?  Sorry, I don't understand what point you're
>> trying to make.
>
> I noticed that some people (not you) seem to think that the dwarf
> unwinder knows special things about signals, pthread_cleanup_pop
> and whatnot.  I was just trying to say that it does not: all this
> stuff is covered by the standard exception handling concepts.

I for one am glad you made that comment.  I've been struggling until
the other day to understand just what the dwarf unwinder did and how
it did it and what it depended on and how it was kicked off, and how
exception objects and signals and pthread_cleanup_pop figured into it.

I started this thread because I saw a nice hole in the form of a
documented instruction that compiled down to nothing, and thought
maybe I could fill it.  You beat me to it apparently, and enlightened
me quite a bit in the process.