[LLVMdev] x86 unwind support[MESSAGE NOT SCANNED]

Kenneth Uildriks kennethuil at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 07:56:12 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Andrew Haley<aph at redhat.com> wrote:
> Maybe there does exist a programming language that never calls (or is
> called by) programs in other programming languages and never runs in
> an environment where one of its threads may be terminated.  In that
> case, interoperability of generated code doesn't matter.  In the
> heterogeneous world of the contemporary OS I'm not sure if that's a
> common case.

I believe both Java and .NET tend to assume that code running outside
their respective runtimes isn't killing any of their threads.  Also,
Java makes no attempt to allow exceptions to propagate across JNI
bounaries... incoming C++ exceptions just kill the process, and
outgoing Java exceptions have to be explicitly checked for in C++
code.