[LLVMdev] please stabilize the trunk

Daniel Dunbar daniel at zuster.org
Thu Jul 16 12:01:00 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 7:44 AM, David Greene<dag at cray.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 July 2009 18:48, Daniel Dunbar wrote:
>> That depends on what you call a false positive. The public buildbot
>> regularly fails because of mailing Frontend tests, and I have had
>> continues failures of some DejaGNU tests for a long time on some
>> builders. Its not a false positive per se, but one starts to ignore
>> the failures because they aren't unexpected.
>
> I've experienced that in my own local copies.  For example, I've had
> 19-21 unexpected failures for weeks that no one else seems to see.

The additional failures are see are usually either (a) Frontend
related, or (b) due to a different architecture or build
configuration. I have attempted to cope with the later problem by
increasing coverage, so a separate builder will tests a separate LLVM
build model (Debug vs Release vs Release-Asserts). I also actively try
to eliminate any sources of non-determinism when I see them.

> Something about our test infrastructure is fragile to the point that
> changing environments somehow causes different results.

Its worth taking the time to track down failures and understand why
they only show up in a particular configuration, and either eliminate
the difference or find a way to test it.

 - Daniel